Sunday, July 8, 2007

Let the Blogging Begin

I've finally entered the blog world. To some it may seem strange to blog about woodworking, restoration, refinishing, and furniture repair work - but this is my profession and in many ways my passion.

The nature of my work has certainly evolved in an unexpected direction over the past couple of years. I never expected to be so heavily involved with water damaged furniture, but that is unavoidable in post-Katrina New Orleans. In fact, the storm created a lot of business for me. It took me a long time to get comfortable with that idea since so many people suffered and lost so much. As time as passed, I've found (or at least convinced myself) that I am, in some small way, moving New Orleans forward towards recovery. Some people are building houses, cleaning up debris, etc., and I am bringing back the furniture.

It's such a small thing, but I am continuously enchanted by how attached people are to their furniture. I've been in a lot of houses that were completely gutted - just an open space interrupted by moldy 2x4's and that all-too-familiar smell Katrina left behind. Often the only things left in the house are a pile of furniture (or parts of furniture) that the owner managed to salvage. For many, these pieces are the only thing they have to connect them to life before the hurricane. As you can imagine, I've heard a lot of stories. I wish I would have documented them as I heard them as they have been truly fascinating. It has connected me with my customers in a way that I don't think would happen anywhere else. We're all moving slowly towards a sense of normalcy in New Orleans, and if a restored piece of furniture helps some get closer to that, then I've done my part.

For now, it's back to the wood shop. Every week is different here and presents new challenges. This week it's the restoration of a flooded armoire, refinishing an old dining set, and various small repair jobs.

3 comments:

Lady said...

You are providing an excellent service - post some of your furniture tales! Very nice website!

Weavin' Wicker Woman said...

Hi Dan,

Always on the lookout for other chair seat weavers, I stumbled across yours a while ago. Great website by the way and it's nice to know someone is repairing the great old furniture found in New Orleans.

I've been blogging since 2004, with a related site, so let's link up! Check out my chair caning, wicker repair and basketry blog at http://wickerwoman.blogspot.com

When you have the time, join weavers from across the country on my Seatweaving Forum at http://disc.server.com/Indices/220033.html

And if you want to join a guild, we've just formed the very first seat weaving guild in America on July 13-15, 2007 in Nelsonville, OH. I'm the President, so feel free to email me about particulars anytime!

Check out my information and resource website at http://www.WickerWoman.com/

Glad to have a fellow seat weaver in the blogosphere!

The Wicker Woman
Cathryn Peters
Angora, Minnesota
http://www.WickerWoman.com

debbie kinghan said...

Hi Dan,

I feel your passion and share it for restoring furniture. I do weaving of all kinds and am an avid follower of Cathryn's forum.
I too would love to build my own furniture but alas have an aversion to power tools that might eat my fingers.

Glad to know you are out there !

Debbie Kinghan
Kinghan of Kalifornia
P.O.Box 50257
Pacific Grove, Ca.
93950